Recipe: Live Moo Shu
Live Moo Shu (courtesy of Jennifer Murray)
This flavorful combination of napa cabbage, fennel, and the sea vegetable hijiki is one of our all-time favorites when combined with our live hoisin sauce—a sweet and flavorful rendition of the Chinese cuisine staple.
4 cups napa cabbage, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
1 cup carrot, peeled and julienned or grated
1/2 red bell pepper, ribbed, seeded, and julienned
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (or soaked dried black mushrooms)
1/2 large fennel bulb, julienned (optional)
3 Tbsp. sesame oil
3 Tbsp. nama shoyu
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup hijiki seaweed, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
1 cup raisins
1 1/4 cups filtered water
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or cayenne)
1 tsp. dulse flakes
1/2 tsp. unpasteurized barley miso
1/2 tsp. stone-ground mustard
16 leaves butterhead lettuce or 8 large chard leaves, stems removed
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, carrot, red bell pepper, shallot, mushrooms, fennel (if using), 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of the nama shoyu, and salt. Allow to marinate for 45 minutes.
- If dehydrating, dehydrate at 110°F for 45 minutes to soften the veggies. Remove, add the hijiki, and toss. Allowing the veggies to sit in the oil for 45 minutes, without dehydrating, will also soften them up a bit.
- Soak the raisins in the water for at least 1 hour. Place in a blender with the soak water.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons nama shoyu, garlic, remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil, crushed red pepper flakes, dulse flakes, barley miso, and mustard and blend for 30 seconds or more, going from low speed to high speed until the raisins are blended smooth.
- To serve Chinese restaurant-style, place the vegetable medley on a plate. Stack the cabbage leaves on another plate and pour hoisin sauce into a small bowl. Tear off the desired size of chard leaf, wrap some veggies in it, and dip in the hoisin sauce.
Makes 16 wraps plus 2 cups sauce