Top 5 New Year’s Resolutions for Becoming Vegan
As the New Year approaches, many of us look forward to a fresh start. Some will decide to go vegan, or at least include more vegan foods in their diet. Here are 5 mini resolutions that can strengthen you in your newfound conviction.
1. I resolve to think about where my food comes from. There are no hamburger or hotdog trees in the wild. Our food begins to look differently when we think of what was involved in bringing it to the table. Remember that ‘veal’ is actually a baby cow and lamb chops come from baby sheep.
2. I resolve to examine the impact my food choices have on the planet. Plan on going green in ’09? Realize that by choosing plant based foods at every meal you are reducing your environmental impact more than by driving a hybrid car or even bicycling to work.
3. I resolve to be kind whenever possible. Deciding whether to dine on sushi or a cucumber avocado roll? Making your food choices based on which option causes the least suffering is a radical step to bring more peace into this world. One of our favorite sayings is ‘Peace begins in the kitchen!’
4. I resolve to read labels. This step will help you to make healthier food choices and eliminate hidden animal products in your foods. Even “non-dairy’ creamers actually contain dairy products! Remember that ingredients such as whey or sodium caseinate are derived from milk.
5. I resolve to learn more about the benefits of vegan cuisine. Read books like Vegan Fusion World Cuisine, Diet for a New America, The China Study, The World Peace Diet and others that delve into the many benefits of vegan cuisine for our health and the health of our planet.